Massachusetts Residents/Property Owners
The Hyannis Public Library will issue a card to any legal resident of Massachusetts or Town of Barnstable property owner. Visit the Library during open hours to sign up for a card at the Circulation Desk.
The name and address provided to verify identification must match the information entered on the application.
- Current Massachusetts Driver’s License
- Current Massachusetts Non-Driver Picture ID
- Picture Learner’s Permit
If the above documentation is not available, any two of the following forms of identification are acceptable for adults and or young adults, provided the first shows a photo and name and/or signature and the second the applicant’s current address:
- Deed from Town of Barnstable
- MA lease agreement for ≥ 1 year.
- MA Car Registration
- MA Medicare or Medicaid Card
- Utility Bill with local address
- Employment ID
- Pay Stub from Employer
- Current college/university photo ID Current employee photo ID
- Current Armed Services ID
- Alien Registration photo ID
- Current passport
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- MA Motor vehicle registration
- Professional, vocational or union photo ID
- Tax bill or receipt
- Transit Pass
- Current photo ID with signature and expiration date issued by an embassy or consulate in MA
- MA Transitional Assistance (EBT) ID
- Bank statement dated within the last three months
- Mail showing name and address, dated within the last 3 months, as indicated by the postmark or date of printed e-bill
Visiting out-of-state residents who are not MA property owners may apply for a Courtesy Card.
Patrons with Courtesy Cards may check out up to ten (10) items. Courtesy Card patrons may not have more than ten (10) items out at any given time. To obtain a Courtesy Card, the applicant must provide all the following:
- Photo ID
- Proof of legal address
- Written confirmation of local address
Courtesy cards expire in 3 months and may be renewed.
Other visitors to Hyannis may qualify for a Local Access card.
Patrons with a Local Access card may check out up to three (3) Hyannis Public Library items. Local Access patrons may not have more than three (3) items out at any given time. Local Access cards issued from Hyannis Public Library may only be used at Hyannis Public Library.
To obtain a Local Access Card, the applicant must provide the following:
- Photo ID
Local Access cards expire in 3 months and may be renewed.
Young Adult/Child's Card
Young adults (ages 12 through 17) may show the same ID as adults. Young adults may additionally show one of the following forms of identification provided the current address is listed:
- School photo ID
- Report card
- Class schedule
- Work papers
Children (up to age 12) will not be required to show an ID. A parent or legal guardian will be asked to sign the registration form for their child under the age of 12. Children should be able to write their first and last names. By co-signing, the parent or legal guardian accepts responsibility for the use of the child’s Library card.
Guidelines for Borrowing with Your Valid CLAMS Card
- Books, magazines, and sound recordings may be checked out for 2 weeks (14 days); DVDs may be checked out for 1 week (7 days) or 2 weeks (14 days), depending on the type of DVD.
- Items will be automatically renewed two times before they must be returned. Items with holds for other patrons cannot be renewed. Notification of overdue/renewed items can be emailed, texted or mailed to patrons; options for notifications can be set up by asking at the Circulation Desk.
- Alternatively, renewals can be done in person, by telephone, or on-line with your valid CLAMS card and PIN.
- The Library no longer collects late charges, but charges for lost or damaged items must be paid in full to the owning library.
- Please return library materials inside at the Main Circulation Desk during open hours. When the Library is closed, items may be dropped into the book and DVD return drops and will be checked in on the next day that the Library is open. The Book Return Drop is located to the right of the Main Entrance. The DVD/CD Drop is located to the left of the Main Entrance.